Urban Development and Housing Department provides civic amenities in urban areas and extends support through Urban local bodies to the deprived section of the society as well as shares the responsibility of insuring planned development of the city and its outskirt. Induction of the twelfth schedule in the constitution through 74th Constitutional amendment has brought various urban activities and services such as urban planning including town planning, regulation of land use, planning for economic and social development, safeguarding the interests of weaker sections of society, providing civic amenities, promotion of cultural, education and aesthetic aspects etc. within the purview of urban local bodies.
It is, therefore, inevitable for the urban local bodies to render services as per the requirement and necessity of the citizen and town in pursuance to the provisions as contemplated in the constitution. There are 39 urban local bodies consisting of 3 Municipal Corporations, 14 Municipal Councils, 19 Nagar Panchayats and 02 Notified Areas Committees (NAC) with 1 Municipality, responsible for implementation of the Urban development activities in their respective areas in the state of Jharkhand.
- Creation of Urban Local Bodies in new eligible urban settlements as per prevailing laws,
- Declaration of Industrial Town as per norms laid down in the constitution,
- Preparation of Master Plan and City Development Plan with a perspective of 25-30 years of towns and cities ,
- To encourage Public Private Participation (PPP) Model in the water supply scheme and it is proposed to take up urban water supply scheme in PPP mode,
- To place proper Solid Waste Management System in all ULBs with latest technical know-how available in this field,
- To place Drainage & Sewerage System in all ULBs in 12th Five Year Plan as per key indicators,
- To provide public transport facilities in all the towns of the State and construction, modernization, development, strengthening of roads, pavements, bridges, flyovers, subways, causeways, bus stands, traffic signals etc,
- To undertake various city sanitation measures,
- To provide various civic amenities in various ULB’s as per the local requirement,
- To introduce e-Governance in the ULBs to provide single window services to the citizens, to increase efficiency and productivity of the ULBs, and provide timely and reliable management information,
- Creation of a Reform and performance Management Cell (RPMC) at the State level with multidisciplinary team,
- To improve living condition of the Urban Poor through schemes of slum Improvement, affordable housing for below Poverty Line (BPL)/Economically Weaker Section (EWS)/Low Income Group (LIG) & Medium Income Group (MIG) and creation of job opportunities for them,
- Enactment of Jharkhand Municipal Act, 2011 etc.